2. School Mission; Organizational Values
For schools, educational mission and pedagogical philosophy are the cornerstones of the entire educational enterprise. Therefore, it is critical to connect GSD work to the philosophy, values and pedagogy behind helping students grow and learn.
With a deeper understanding of gender and sexuality, schools are able to realize their promise of:
• working with the whole child
• preparing students for an increasingly diverse world
• developing critical thinking skills
• fostering respect for differences
• creating communities of mutual consideration and concern
• promoting equity and inclusivity
For organizations, mission and objectives are also critical anchors for GSD education across constituents. With the goal of achieving an equitable work environment in relation to gender and sexuality, TFC can help you:
• train your staff
• shift organizational culture
• create and implement policy
• promote equity and inclusion
Trying to understand the shifting lexicon of gender and sexuality is on ongoing challenge! Here is a list of terms that were officially added to Miriam-Webster’s Dictionary in 2016: transphobia, nonbinary, cis, cisgender, genderqueer, gender reassignment, gender-fluid, Mx. They, used as a plural pronoun, was voted the word of the year.
Learning dictionary definitions alone, however, will not be sufficient for changing attitudes and behavior. Let TFC help you navigate this ever-evolving language.